Saturday 16 August 2014

4 Things i hate about Pattern Cutting

  Pattern cutting is probably my favourite aspect of my course, however i think 90% of all designers who have had to experience pattern cutting, would say that it is the single most confusing thing they have come across throughout design. You really can't explain until you attempt it. So I'm going to try:
1. There is so much math.
  Math was never my strong point at school. I have to admit at GCSE my teacher gave up on trying to teach me math and just let me and one of my friends sing ABBA from our iPod's each lesson. However the math in pattern cutting can literally lead to you staring at a piece of paper for 40 minutes having no idea what to do. If you need this curve to be a bit longer, it has to bend to the left and then the side seam of the knicker is too long so that has to go to the right...CAN THIS STOP BEING SO CONFUSING PLEASE.
2. There is so much paper involved.
  Im not going to go off on one about how we should save the trees, however the constant development you have to do in pattern cutting always leads to a pile of 100 pieces of paper. This is fine, until you lose that perfect pattern piece that you made...or have no idea which of the gusset patterns in the pile is the one that you needed...
3. There are so many ways to pattern cut...of which none are easy.
  There is always the measuring and drafting of a garment, however it always gets a little too confusing. And like i said, numbers really arent my strong point. Then there is pin copying, but who seriously wants to get a gorgeous pair of satin knickers and make tiny (but noticeable) holes in them with a pin. NOT ME. And of course, the most heart wrenching method. Unpicking. I guess if you are told to pattern cut an ugly piece of lingerie, unpicking really is a god send, merely because you don't have to look at the awful lingerie anymore. However, when you are given a gorgeous french lace knicker, there is nothing that can make you happy about pulling it apart. So although this is the easiest method, i normally want to cry.
4. When the patterns seem perfect and when you make the garment it just doesn't work out.
  There is nothing to say here except HOW.

  Although, i can sit here and complain as much as i want, after all of this stressing there is nothing better than to have created the perfect pattern. I think i just like the challenge...even if it does make me cry sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment